Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bali Trip-Sai Land Cafe Luwak

After the amazing Kintamani, our driver, Made Jiwa (Tel: +628123668893) brought us to Starbucks in the jungle-Sai Land Cafe Luwak. Kopi Luwak or civet coffee, is one of the world's most expensive and low-production varieties of coffee. The special coffee is made from coffee berries which have been eaten by and passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Plam Civet. The civets eat the berries, but the beans inside pass through their system undigested and keeping their shape. The interesting part is the civets will only eat the finest berries.

Photobucket

Photobucket


The Sai Land Plantation is a family owned plantation that grows cacao, coffee and all kind of different herbs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
This is the Luwak or civet

Photobucket
Coffee berries

Photobucket
Civet's shit


After gather the civet's shit, it will be washed, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, all done by manually without any machine.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Plantation visit followed by Kopi Luwak tasting. Kindly take note here, FOC for visiting the plantation and try out other herbs tea but you have to pay if you want to try the Kopi Luwak. One cup of Kopi Luwak is Rp50K.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
The main character-Kopi Luwak with other herbs tea

Photobucket
Cheers

Photobucket
If you like the coffee or other herbs tea, you can get it here


As a coffee lover, I'm definitely won't miss the chance to taste the world's most expensive coffee. Although they don't have coffee machine to blend the coffee well, but you can smell the strong aromatic coffee. I tried the first sip without sugar and I found it less bitter. The coffee bean seems blended well with the civet's enzymes and I even can finish the whole cup without sugar. Probably due to the coffee is too strong, I can't sleep at night. Kopi Luwak is the most expensive souvenir I ever bought, USD19 for 100g only. I wonder how many cups of coffee I can make?

6 comments:

Nava Krishnan said...

I have been here too, its a lovely experience and Bali is such a breath taking place to visit.

Yih Yann said...

@Nava Krishnan: The coffee is nice and I understand why it's the world most expensive coffee, but I felt a bit cheated because you need to pay to drink it, not free tasting.

Lindy said...

I would love to try that coffee one day. So, does it taste like the world's most expensive coffee? HAHAHAHA! :P

Yih Yann said...

@Lindy: It did taste like the world's most expensive coffee because you can't stop thinking about the price you drink it :P

Nattaya Chusuth said...

could you tell me where is Sai Land Luwak Coffee located?

thank you

Yih Yann said...

@Nattaya Chusuth: Hi, I'm not so sure about the location, it was my driver, Made Jiwa (Tel: +628123668893) brought me there. I suggest you to contact the driver. Anyway, you will need a driver to travel in Bali :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails